Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Chris Burden "What My Dad Gave Me"

Chris Burden may be well known for:

1. Having someone shoot him for a performance piece called "Shoot".

2. Creating the single greatest ever work of art, a dangling ton of rock and model train track called "Medusa's Head". This fact was confirmed by the independent critical analysis by myself and my brother Tim. Both analyses included the exclamation "Dude!"


Chris Burden pays homage to his engineer father with the title of his six story high erector set skyscraper. It stands near and echoes the shape of Rockefeller Center. I took young Irving way out of the way to see it, carrying him on my back across Midtown like a Silverback Ape. I got a little choked up telling him what the sculpture was called. We thought it was really cool and he asked if he could get build a smaller version of it with his own Erector set.



Thank you again, Chris Burden.




No comments: